Visit this link first: purves lab
*(click to enable Flash, then you need to choose an item again to load the interactive interface).
Take these tests: X-Rite, Color - Method of Action
Turn in the screenshot test results along with the exercise files.
screenshot command: (shift + cmd + 4, drag). The file will appear on your Desktop.
You will have 2 screenshot test results. Save / Drag these into your exercise folder.
Next Task: White Balance
- Open the balloon image file from the "white-balance" sub-folder
- Use the Threshold Adjustment Layer: Set the White and Black points
- Turn Off threshold adjustment layer
- Use Curve Adjustment Layer: Set the white and Black points using the eyedroppers from the Curve window
- Save As: (in the sub-folder called: white_balance) lastname_white-balance.psd
Next Task: Create and Match
- Sample 3 colors from the color swatch image: light / medium / dark
- Use the techniques I show in class.
- Create and Match these 3 selected color for both images that I provide you.
- Place both images (and 2 color test screenshots) in a folder: lastname_e4
- Save each image as: lastname_e4-1.psd, lastname_e4-2.psd
- Open the swatch image. use your sample tool (11x11) to sample and then save the color swatch. Make sure that you are selecting a light, medium, and dark color. Do not use White or Black as your selection.
- Open the first "product" image. make sure you can see all layers.
- Click on the "background" layer (or the bottom layer). load the "color chip" selection (command click the mask of the square shape). create a new solid or color fill layer. when selecting the color to use, click on your saved swatch.
- Click the background layer. load the "garment" (command click the mask of the garment shape). create a new solid or color fill layer. when selecting the color to use, click on your saved swatch. (if you load your color as the foreground color first, it will be the default color when choosing a color fill layer). Change the blendmode to Color for this layer only. (you can try Hue as well, but I bet Color will work better).
- Click the background layer. load the "garment" (command click the mask of the garment shape). choose levels adjustment layer. adjust only the output light or dark slider to control the lightness or the darkness in the appearance of the color. (this is actually adjusting the appearance of the original garment color/tone - so that it matches the lightness or darkness of your target color).
- Select these 3 new adjustment layer hold your shift and click on the layer group icon. rename layer group as the color of your swatch. REPEAT steps 3-5 for each saved color. REPEAT for the next image.
Turn In To Server Dropbox:
images: lastname_e4-1.psd, lastname_e4-2.psd
and the 2 screenshots of your color test results. (you do not have to rename them, they will be on your desktop)